Wintertime and cold weather create several challenges for dog owners. Seasoned dog people have learned to just go with it, because their love for their wet-nosed friend is stronger than their disdain for the frigid, arctic temperatures. As I monitor the Denver temperatures from my dorm room in Mississippi, I cannot help but think about all the dealings I go through, and will go through, with Motley Crue, just because I love him.
Of course, I’ve been away at technical school, so I’d give anything to walk him in the snow. I miss my little pooch. So because boredom can get the best of me, I made a list of things only dog owners do in the wintertime – just to keep their furry friends happy.
1. As a dog owner, I know it is perfectly acceptable to use Motley as a blanket, snuggle buddy, or feet warmer at any given time. He doesn’t mind. We both love it.
2. Dog owners do not get embarrassed when taking their dog out to pee at 5:30 a.m., even when they’re wearing snow boots, a full winter wardrobe, and their big, fuzzy, blue bathrobe over top because it’s warmer than any winter coat The North Face can make.
3. When going out to buy groceries, you bring your dog along because a) he’s great moral support and a morale booster, as -6 Fahrenheit doesn’t bother him one bit, and b) you don’t know when you’ll be able to get out again, so you’re going to kill two birds with one stone. That’s called caring smarter, not harder.
4. A day out “shopping” for new toys at Petco is a must during the winter because all toys will be chewed, mangled, and destroyed to their fullest potential. It’s not like you can go outside and play frisbee when your fingers and paws are falling off.
5. Time is of no consequence. Whether it’s 2 in the morning or 9 at night, if your pup feels the need to go out and sniff the area, you’re going out and sniffing the area. End of story.
6. If a burst of warm weather hits your area, even if 12 degrees is considered a “burst”, you are out in it with your dog taking in all the sights and smells.
7. You look up your local doggy daycare rates because you so desperately need some alone time. There’s no place better than daycare for your dog when it’s cold outside. They get to play with friends and you get a day off.
8. One word. Sweaters. Sweaters everywhere. Also, dog booties.
9. You have a heating blanket… for your dog’s bed.
10. You make homemade peanut butter treats for your dog, because winter is the best season for baking and it’s better than going outside to play…. again.
What kind of things do you do in the wintertime just to appease your dog?